Friday 19 April 2013

Planning 1

Proposal

I will be creating a music magazine that will be targeted at indie/alternative music fans between the ages of 16 and 24. This type of music magazine highlights new musical talent that will be suggestions on who we think will become big/well known in the year. My magazine will be about showcasing and giving a platform to new, upcoming talent by including interviews, reviews and a list of festivals and gigs to attend during the issue month. I will make my magazine to be published monthly, so that there is time in between issues to collect info and data for the next one. This particular issue will be aimed to publish during one of the summer/spring months, like May, this is due to the featured story of festivals (which occur in the summer months). This magazine will be available in A5 dimensions so that it is easier to carry around or place in a bag when done. It will not only be found in shops to buy but also it’ll be given out at some small music/gig venues as a complementary gift for buying the tickets. For the coverlines I plan to have 3 on the front of the magazine with another larger main coverline at the bottom, this coverline will feature the chosen ‘model’ to photograph’s interview. This will be called, ‘Interview with Megan Linford’, some of the smaller ones will be, ‘New talent coming through’, ‘Best gigs this month’. .The title that I have chosen for the magazine is ‘Unknown’ which indicates that the people featured in it are new musicians/singers who are trying to do what they love to perform. Some ideas that I thought of and rejected are, ‘Upcoming’, ‘Individual’. I chose to reject these as they seemed too vague and not intriguing enough for someone to want to read or pick the magazine, I thought that ‘Unknown’ was mysterious, persuading you to read it. I want my font style to be clear to read easily, the font size needs to be big enough for it to be read at a normal distance away from the eyes, having a simple, modern font type will also with this. When looking through the fonts I came across one called Baskerville, which I will use for my coverlines and the main text. Also for my masthead I have found a font called Copperplate, as it is very bold and modern which makes it stand out, I have used a red colour for this text so that it will be visible as the masthead. I will use the Baskerville font throughout my magazine to keep it consistent. For my front cover I plan to get an image that is a close up (head/shoulders) of my model so that it seems like she is staring directly at the reader bringing an intimate feel, I got this idea from an NME cover I looked at with Florence Welch as the star. To get hold of this image I will take it of my sister’s friend, Megan, as she is the magazines star, if I take the images I will then be in control of how it should look. For the other images that will feature in the magazine I will again take these in different locations, with lots of costume changes to show variety. Some of these will includes instruments or of Megan actually singing.
I completed 5 research tasks to gain an idea of how an indie/alternative music magazine should look, in each piece of research I looked into different things like; contents page, front cover, double page spread, an interview, research into a media company and research into how I came to the genre I did. From these I hope to follow the conventions so that mine will look as real and professional as possible. I picked up on the style and layouts of each page, which will help to inspire mine; also the colours used were quite earthy, greys, browns, blues and reds. From analysing an NME front cover it gave me the thought of how to portray the look and style of my cover model.

No comments:

Post a Comment